@TerryHauck—
This topic interests me. If you’re open to it, I’d like to explore it a bit more with you.
Comparing and contrasting the two paradigms concerning this idea of validation is meaningful to me.
For one, it’s giving me a chance to find words for my approach to certain key aspects of parenting.
Understanding other view points on parenting is always meaningful to me, as well.
Identifying common ground of various perspectives can also be fruitful for various reasons.
After our interchange on this yesterday, I realized it would be helpful if I had a clearer understanding of both paradigms.
I do read things about parenting occasionally, but I realize I largely parent intuitively in accordance with a specific sensibility and set of principles that ring true to me in so far as their wisdom, effectiveness, and their ability to instill the values and outlook I hope to foster in my children, cleanly, and with heart. But I’m not out there consuming books or videos on stuff like this, so I’m not necessarily up on all the current parenting trends or assertions of behavioral psychology.
So, I looked into the two paradigms a bit.
I feel that it would very helpful moving forward for us to agree upon exactly what each of these camps actual espouse. So, below I have included an AI summary of this.
Does this feel like a fair and accurate summary of the two main camps as you see it?
View attachment 103666
View attachment 103667View attachment 103668
Also, I’m curious about your context in talking about this. If you don’t mind, I think it could also be helpful if you could fill some of that in for me.
Are you married? Do you have children? If so, how many and what are their ages? Boy(s), girls(s), maybe one(or more) of each? If you do have children do you and their mother share the same philosophy on this topic? Do you have any academic background that you would say informs any of this for you?—perhaps a degree in psychology, education, theology, philosophy (or something else).
As for me, my wife and I have two daughters. Sylvie will be 6 this coming March, and Ember will be 4 in November. I have a degree in radiologic sciences, and what informs my perspective is largely that I’m passionate about fathering and human psychology, and that my cognitive stack is respectively, Ni, Fe, Ti, Se.
Cheers,
Erik