An amazing story about doubt and faith.

meowzician

Community Member
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Last night I was given the link to the following autobiographical story by Jennifer Moses. I woke up this morning still thinking about it. It is touching, and it is deep.

You will not see the ending coming. She is a Jewish woman who does volunteer work at some kind of hospice in a very Christian Baton Rouge in an area where the poverty is striking. The first part is okay. But it’s about a third of the way in that my antennae went up, as she begins to tell about her spiritual crisis. And I'm telling you, you are not going to see it coming.

There are stories I enjoy, and then there are stories that become part of me. I can sense this one taking up residency in my spiritual framework.


Enjoy!
 
Last night I was given the link to the following autobiographical story by Jennifer Moses. I woke up this morning still thinking about it. It is touching, and it is deep.

You will not see the ending coming. She is a Jewish woman who does volunteer work at some kind of hospice in a very Christian Baton Rouge in an area where the poverty is striking. The first part is okay. But it’s about a third of the way in that my antennae went up, as she begins to tell about her spiritual crisis. And I'm telling you, you are not going to see it coming.

There are stories I enjoy, and then there are stories that become part of me. I can sense this one taking up residency in my spiritual framework.


Enjoy!
God is calling Jennifer, I hope she will connect with Him. It reminds me on 2Kings 5:3; 5:13 when highly regarded Naaman received advices from servants.
At the similar way, those poor dying people with the great faith shows Jennifer what the faith really is and setting her a mirror to see her life living without the God.

How does it sound to Jewish people to read about that great faith in Jesus from the people who are literally on the bottom of society and at the end of their lives?

This situation is the real core of Christianity: Jesus, who suffered on the cross and died, is with those who suffers, who are dying but who gave their lives to Him. And they die in peace, with the confidence that they are saved because of God's mercy.
 
God is calling Jennifer, I hope she will connect with Him.
If that story is any indication, she has already reconnected with him.
It reminds me on 2Kings 5:3; 5:13 when highly regarded Naaman received advices from servants.
At the similar way, those poor dying people with the great faith shows Jennifer what the faith really is and setting her a mirror to see her life living without the God.
Without God? Who was it that answered her prayer?
How does it sound to Jewish people to read about that great faith in Jesus from the people who are literally on the bottom of society and at the end of their lives?
We think of them the same way we think of Jews who survived the grinding poverty of the shtetls, who went to their deaths with the shema on their lips rather than convert, who fled the pogroms across the ocean to a strange land where no one even spoke their language, Jews who had their bodies reduced to ashes for no other reason than that they were Jews.

You have your saints. We have our tzaddikim.
This situation is the real core of Christianity: Jesus, who suffered on the cross and died, is with those who suffers, who are dying but who gave their lives to Him. And they die in peace, with the confidence that they are saved because of God's mercy.
It truly hurts my heart for you, that you missed the beauty and depth of the story, that you could not see it because your theology got in the way.
 
If that story is any indication, she has already reconnected with him.

Without God? Who was it that answered her prayer?

We think of them the same way we think of Jews who survived the grinding poverty of the shtetls, who went to their deaths with the shema on their lips rather than convert, who fled the pogroms across the ocean to a strange land where no one even spoke their language, Jews who had their bodies reduced to ashes for no other reason than that they were Jews.

You have your saints. We have our tzaddikim.

It truly hurts my heart for you, that you missed the beauty and depth of the story, that you could not see it because your theology got in the way.
We read in the Old Testament about a lot of ups and downs of Jewish people in the relation with God, until the Babilon exile. When they forgot about God and started with idolatry, God let some destruction to happen.
Could we say it happened the same in a current war? Is Israel became too secular?Had Israel too much confidence on its secret services who didn't see a coming attack?
A small group of young sportsmen should travel to Israel in July 2024. I was hardly against it, because no one knows when will Iran attack Israel. Israeli organizers told us not to trust what we read in the news about the situation in Israel!! So the group went to Israel and came home. And Hamas suddenly attacked on 10/7, but it could also happen on 7/10 when kids were there.

About holocaust: nearly every war is started because someone wants to steal someone else' s resources; but can't say it openly. Hence, the warlords pack it in some ideology.
Germany was poor, there was economical crisis, Jews war rich, higher educated, better jobs- elite citizens. So, I think, Jews wasn't oprresed just for being Jews. It was an excuse for stealing their goods and partly because of a jealousy.
In my town before ww2, Jewish population was 7%, but they owned most of the biggest factories, banks...My grandma worked as a maid at one lady who was deported to Auschwitz.

Let's go back to Jennifer. I didn't miss the beauty. What I wrote actually is a depth, and theology is here to help to see and understand the depth. God is with those who suffer if they accept Him and let Him comfort them. Many Christians doesn't understand that depth, they praise the Lord only when everything is good= superficial level, like focus on Christmas tree.
 
We read in the Old Testament about a lot of ups and downs of Jewish people in the relation with God, until the Babilon exile. When they forgot about God and started with idolatry, God let some destruction to happen.
Could we say it happened the same in a current war? Is Israel became too secular?Had Israel too much confidence on its secret services who didn't see a coming attack?
I am not going to discuss the war in this particular forum. One of the reasons I come here is for respite. It is a haven I can retreat to when being called a Zio and a baby killer is starting to get to me. I'm only going to make some highly general remarks, and then I'm going to exit the discussion. If you are the sort that needs to have the last word, that's fine.

1. I work hard to keep religion out of political discussions. It's not that religion isn't important--it is usually our religious upbringing that helped shape our consciences. But when I discuss the ethics of ANYTHING going on in the world, I want my arguments to have universal appeal. If I make an argument that only makes sense to the people within my religion, it is going to defeat my objective of influencing those who disagree.

2. I never judge people by their beliefs or religious practices. I judge people according to what they DO. I'll take a moral atheist over an asshole Jew any day of the week.

3. Don't assume that I get my information only from the media. I have spent hours texting with a friend in Tel Aviv as he sat in his bomb shelter, listening to the Iranian missiles explode all around him. I watch as the fear causes this 50 year old man regress to his teenage years. I correspond regularly with my Palestinian friend in Lebanon (Yeah, it's unusual. What can I say? We both love Matisyahu.) I HURT when she tells me about family she has lost. When I hear from my friends who are THERE, in the middle of it all, I can see it through their eyes, and its a VERY different experience than reading stupid newspapers or even stupider YouTube bloggers that are more interested in virtue signaling than genuinely caring about what is actually happening.

4.1. It is wrong to misuse words. Words have given definitions. When one takes a word that comes with tremendous emotional impact and misapplies it, one is cheating. It almost always means that the actual arguments have little substance, since one is depending on emotional manipulation to influence others.

4.2 In the same vein of thinking, exaggeration is a form of lying. You can be correct that someone is doing something wrong, but when you exaggerate it in order to demonize them, it's evil.

5. The number of people who agree or disagree with a point has absolutely NO bearing on whether the position is correct or incorrect. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

6. A double standard ALWAYS indicates bigotry. If doing X makes country A uniquely evil, but doing X is not a concern if country B does it, that is sheer, ordinary, ugly, irrational, evil hatred.

7. Beware of projection. It is insidious how human beings cast off their own feelings of guilt by accusing their victims of the exact things they themselves are guilty of. We've all seen cases where incredibly homophobe pastors get caught with gay porn on their computers. Projection is a COMMON way to avoid facing the evil in one's own back yard. I scan for it in myself ALL THE TIME. You can never be too careful about this.

8. Genetics proves beyond a doubt that Jews all around the world are indigenous to the Levant. And archeology proves beyond a doubt that Jews have lived in the land consistently for thousands of years. The idea that all Jews left Judea after the Bar Kochba rebellion is factually incorrect.

9. Do you not find it insanely and stupidly irrational that when being a white man was a good thing Jews weren't white, but now that being a white man is considered a bad thing Jews are now white?

10. Dividing the world into "Oppressors" and "Oppressed" is a childish and psychologically dysfunctional way to think. Anyone who has ever had their depression or anxiety helped by Cognitive Behavior Therapy can spot a number of cognitive distortions in it, beginning with black-and-white, all-or-nothing thought.

11. It seems to be human nature to deny impending trouble. Do you think Jews are different than anyone else? The US before 9-11 didn't want to listen to the indicators that we were vulnerable to an impending attack. I know Jews in Toronto who can no longer take a Lyft or Uber because the danger of being attacked is so high but when I suggest getting out before it's too late they say the rise in antisemitism is exaggerated. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to warn people and institutions that trouble is brewing because of this or that, and I get written off as making a mountain out of a molehill. The curse of Cassandra is that no one will believe her.

12. It is impossible to make peace when the other party doesn't want peace--it only wants your destruction.

Germany was poor, there was economical crisis, Jews war rich, higher educated, better jobs- elite citizens. So, I think, Jews wasn't oppressed just for being Jews. It was an excuse for stealing their goods and partly because of a jealousy.
In my town before ww2, Jewish population was 7%, but they owned most of the biggest factories, banks...My grandma worked as a maid at one lady who was deported to Auschwitz.
Did you just do the "The Jews brought it on themselves" justification for the holocaust? REALLY????? Jews were rich so naturally people were jealous--it's only to be expected that people would want to wipe us off the face of the earth?

Let me give you a wake up call. If the holocaust was due to jealousy over wealth, explain to me why rich Germans weren't sent to Auschwitz but poor Jews were.

Don't worry. I'm not expecting you to REALLY change. I realize that antisemitism can't be fixed. It comes from an irrational part of the mind, and reason and evidence can't touch it.

This is why I tell my fellow Jews to stop wasting our money, our time, and our hard work on education. EDUCATION DOESN'T WORK. Neither does extraordinary altruism--hospitals have Jewish names plastered all over the walls, and yet you have nurses and doctors who think Jews are stingy and cheap. The most painful truth is that interfaith work doesn't stop antisemitism either. The group that is our friend today can turn on a dime.

Antisemitism CANNOT be fixed. I will use MY money and MY time and MY effort to build up the Jewish People so that we will not only survive this new wave of hate, but thrive despite it. If another holocaust happens, it will certainly not be because *I* stood idly by. And although we don't know anything that can fix antisemitism, we certainly know what stops it. There is a reason no Jews died during the Temple Israel attack. Thank God for the second amendment.

But enough of this. It is enough for me that I now know exactly the sort of person you are. Let's return the discussion.

Being a maid is honorable work, and maids deserve to be paid more. You don't want to clean the shit out of your own toilet? That makes a maid worth a LOT. The first few years I was married, I ran my own business cleaning mobile homes. I have never looked at that as demeaning work. I was proud of my high standards and efficiency. It gave my nit-picky perfectionism an opportunity to really shine. :)

And you know what? Working class people can't afford maids. It's a scrape even for middle class families and that's why they try to stretch it out unreasonably. If it weren't for well to do families, a LOT of jobs would dry up. I always felt very lucky that some people were too lazy to do the icky necessities and had money to blow for someone like me.
Let's go back to Jennifer. I didn't miss the beauty.
You made it clear you thought Jennifer didn't have a relationship with God. The very fact that God answered her prayer (and you and I literally READ God's answer to her prayer) illustrates the connection between God and Jennifer. Everything you wrote dismissed that. And why? For no other reason than she doesn't share your Christian beliefs.

God didn't dismiss Jennifer. So what makes you think it is okay for you to do so?

I'm sorry, but missing the point of the story is the least of your concerns.
 
Last edited:
I am not going to discuss the war in this particular forum. One of the reasons I come here is for respite. It is a haven I can retreat to when being called a Zio and a baby killer is starting to get to me. I'm only going to make some highly general remarks, and then I'm going to exit the discussion. If you are the sort that needs to have the last word, that's fine.

1. I work hard to keep religion out of political discussions. It's not that religion isn't important--it is usually our religious upbringing that helped shape our consciences. But when I discuss the ethics of ANYTHING going on in the world, I want my arguments to have universal appeal. If I make an argument that only makes sense to the people within my religion, it is going to defeat my objective of influencing those who disagree.

2. I never judge people by their beliefs or religious practices. I judge people according to what they DO. I'll take a moral atheist over an asshole Jew any day of the week.

3. Don't assume that I get my information only from the media. I have spent hours texting with a friend in Tel Aviv as he sat in his bomb shelter, listening to the Iranian missiles explode all around him. I watch as the fear causes this 50 year old man regress to his teenage years. I correspond regularly with my Palestinian friend in Lebanon (Yeah, it's unusual. What can I say? We both love Matisyahu.) I HURT when she tells me about family she has lost. When I hear from my friends who are THERE, in the middle of it all, I can see it through their eyes, and its a VERY different experience than reading stupid newspapers or even stupider YouTube bloggers that are more interested in virtue signaling than genuinely caring about what is actually happening.

4.1. It is wrong to misuse words. Words have given definitions. When one takes a word that comes with tremendous emotional impact and misapplies it, one is cheating. It almost always means that the actual arguments have little substance, since one is depending on emotional manipulation to influence others.

4.2 In the same vein of thinking, exaggeration is a form of lying. You can be correct that someone is doing something wrong, but when you exaggerate it in order to demonize them, it's evil.

5. The number of people who agree or disagree with a point has absolutely NO bearing on whether the position is correct or incorrect. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

6. A double standard ALWAYS indicates bigotry. If doing X makes country A uniquely evil, but doing X is not a concern if country B does it, that is sheer, ordinary, ugly, irrational, evil hatred.

7. Beware of projection. It is insidious how human beings cast off their own feelings of guilt by accusing their victims of the exact things they themselves are guilty of. We've all seen cases where incredibly homophobe pastors get caught with gay porn on their computers. Projection is a COMMON way to avoid facing the evil in one's own back yard. I scan for it in myself ALL THE TIME. You can never be too careful about this.

8. Genetics proves beyond a doubt that Jews all around the world are indigenous to the Levant. And archeology proves beyond a doubt that Jews have lived in the land consistently for thousands of years. The idea that all Jews left Judea after the Bar Kochba rebellion is factually incorrect.

9. Do you not find it insanely and stupidly irrational that when being a white man was a good thing Jews weren't white, but now that being a white man is considered a bad thing Jews are now white?

10. Dividing the world into "Oppressors" and "Oppressed" is a childish and psychologically dysfunctional way to think. Anyone who has ever had their depression or anxiety helped by Cognitive Behavior Therapy can spot a number of cognitive distortions in it, beginning with black-and-white, all-or-nothing thought.

11. It seems to be human nature to deny impending trouble. Do you think Jews are different than anyone else? The US before 9-11 didn't want to listen to the indicators that we were vulnerable to an impending attack. I know Jews in Toronto who can no longer take a Lyft or Uber because the danger of being attacked is so high but when I suggest getting out before it's too late they say the rise in antisemitism is exaggerated. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to warn people and institutions that trouble is brewing because of this or that, and I get written off as making a mountain out of a molehill. The curse of Cassandra is that no one will believe her.

12. It is impossible to make peace when the other party doesn't want peace--it only wants your destruction.


Did you just do the "The Jews brought it on themselves" justification for the holocaust? REALLY????? Jews were rich so naturally people were jealous--it's only to be expected that people would want to wipe us off the face of the earth?

Let me give you a wake up call. If the holocaust was due to jealousy over wealth, explain to me why rich Germans weren't sent to Auschwitz but poor Jews were.

Don't worry. I'm not expecting you to REALLY change. I realize that antisemitism can't be fixed. It comes from an irrational part of the mind, and reason and evidence can't touch it.

This is why I tell my fellow Jews to stop wasting our money, our time, and our hard work on education. EDUCATION DOESN'T WORK. Neither does extraordinary altruism--hospitals have Jewish names plastered all over the walls, and yet you have nurses and doctors who think Jews are stingy and cheap. The most painful truth is that interfaith work doesn't stop antisemitism either. The group that is our friend today can turn on a dime.

Antisemitism CANNOT be fixed. I will use MY money and MY time and MY effort to build up the Jewish People so that we will not only survive this new wave of hate, but thrive despite it. If another holocaust happens, it will certainly not be because *I* stood idly by. And although we don't know anything that can fix antisemitism, we certainly know what stops it. There is a reason no Jews died during the Temple Israel attack. Thank God for the second amendment.

But enough of this. It is enough for me that I now know exactly the sort of person you are. Let's return the discussion.

Being a maid is honorable work, and maids deserve to be paid more. You don't want to clean the shit out of your own toilet? That makes a maid worth a LOT. The first few years I was married, I ran my own business cleaning mobile homes. I have never looked at that as demeaning work. I was proud of my high standards and efficiency. It gave my nit-picky perfectionism an opportunity to really shine. :)

And you know what? Working class people can't afford maids. It's a scrape even for middle class families and that's why they try to stretch it out unreasonably. If it weren't for well to do families, a LOT of jobs would dry up. I always felt very lucky that some people were too lazy to do the icky necessities and had money to blow for someone like me.

You made it clear you thought Jennifer didn't have a relationship with God. The very fact that God answered her prayer (and you and I literally READ God's answer to her prayer) illustrates the connection between God and Jennifer. Everything you wrote dismissed that. And why? For no other reason than she doesn't share your Christian beliefs.

God didn't dismiss Jennifer. So what makes you think it is okay for you to do so?

I'm sorry, but missing the point of the story is the least of your concerns.
I don't know if is it my english, so you don't understand what I want to say...?
With calling me an antisemit, you harshly offended me, so I quit this conversation.
 
That’s a pretty strong recommendation. The way you describe it, especially the shift from simply volunteering to questioning her own spiritual life, makes it sound like there’s a lot more going on than the setup suggests.


Adding this one to my reading list. I’m especially curious now about that ending you’re refusing to spoil.
 
I am not going to discuss the war in this particular forum. One of the reasons I come here is for respite. It is a haven I can retreat to when being called a Zio and a baby killer is starting to get to me. I'm only going to make some highly general remarks, and then I'm going to exit the discussion. If you are the sort that needs to have the last word, that's fine.

1. I work hard to keep religion out of political discussions. It's not that religion isn't important--it is usually our religious upbringing that helped shape our consciences. But when I discuss the ethics of ANYTHING going on in the world, I want my arguments to have universal appeal. If I make an argument that only makes sense to the people within my religion, it is going to defeat my objective of influencing those who disagree.

2. I never judge people by their beliefs or religious practices. I judge people according to what they DO. I'll take a moral atheist over an asshole Jew any day of the week.

3. Don't assume that I get my information only from the media. I have spent hours texting with a friend in Tel Aviv as he sat in his bomb shelter, listening to the Iranian missiles explode all around him. I watch as the fear causes this 50 year old man regress to his teenage years. I correspond regularly with my Palestinian friend in Lebanon (Yeah, it's unusual. What can I say? We both love Matisyahu.) I HURT when she tells me about family she has lost. When I hear from my friends who are THERE, in the middle of it all, I can see it through their eyes, and its a VERY different experience than reading stupid newspapers or even stupider YouTube bloggers that are more interested in virtue signaling than genuinely caring about what is actually happening.

4.1. It is wrong to misuse words. Words have given definitions. When one takes a word that comes with tremendous emotional impact and misapplies it, one is cheating. It almost always means that the actual arguments have little substance, since one is depending on emotional manipulation to influence others.

4.2 In the same vein of thinking, exaggeration is a form of lying. You can be correct that someone is doing something wrong, but when you exaggerate it in order to demonize them, it's evil.

5. The number of people who agree or disagree with a point has absolutely NO bearing on whether the position is correct or incorrect. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

6. A double standard ALWAYS indicates bigotry. If doing X makes country A uniquely evil, but doing X is not a concern if country B does it, that is sheer, ordinary, ugly, irrational, evil hatred.

7. Beware of projection. It is insidious how human beings cast off their own feelings of guilt by accusing their victims of the exact things they themselves are guilty of. We've all seen cases where incredibly homophobe pastors get caught with gay porn on their computers. Projection is a COMMON way to avoid facing the evil in one's own back yard. I scan for it in myself ALL THE TIME. You can never be too careful about this.

8. Genetics proves beyond a doubt that Jews all around the world are indigenous to the Levant. And archeology proves beyond a doubt that Jews have lived in the land consistently for thousands of years. The idea that all Jews left Judea after the Bar Kochba rebellion is factually incorrect.

9. Do you not find it insanely and stupidly irrational that when being a white man was a good thing Jews weren't white, but now that being a white man is considered a bad thing Jews are now white?

10. Dividing the world into "Oppressors" and "Oppressed" is a childish and psychologically dysfunctional way to think. Anyone who has ever had their depression or anxiety helped by Cognitive Behavior Therapy can spot a number of cognitive distortions in it, beginning with black-and-white, all-or-nothing thought.

11. It seems to be human nature to deny impending trouble. Do you think Jews are different than anyone else? The US before 9-11 didn't want to listen to the indicators that we were vulnerable to an impending attack. I know Jews in Toronto who can no longer take a Lyft or Uber because the danger of being attacked is so high but when I suggest getting out before it's too late they say the rise in antisemitism is exaggerated. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to warn people and institutions that trouble is brewing because of this or that, and I get written off as making a mountain out of a molehill. The curse of Cassandra is that no one will believe her.

12. It is impossible to make peace when the other party doesn't want peace--it only wants your destruction.


Did you just do the "The Jews brought it on themselves" justification for the holocaust? REALLY????? Jews were rich so naturally people were jealous--it's only to be expected that people would want to wipe us off the face of the earth?

Let me give you a wake up call. If the holocaust was due to jealousy over wealth, explain to me why rich Germans weren't sent to Auschwitz but poor Jews were.

Don't worry. I'm not expecting you to REALLY change. I realize that antisemitism can't be fixed. It comes from an irrational part of the mind, and reason and evidence can't touch it.

This is why I tell my fellow Jews to stop wasting our money, our time, and our hard work on education. EDUCATION DOESN'T WORK. Neither does extraordinary altruism--hospitals have Jewish names plastered all over the walls, and yet you have nurses and doctors who think Jews are stingy and cheap. The most painful truth is that interfaith work doesn't stop antisemitism either. The group that is our friend today can turn on a dime.

Antisemitism CANNOT be fixed. I will use MY money and MY time and MY effort to build up the Jewish People so that we will not only survive this new wave of hate, but thrive despite it. If another holocaust happens, it will certainly not be because *I* stood idly by. And although we don't know anything that can fix antisemitism, we certainly know what stops it. There is a reason no Jews died during the Temple Israel attack. Thank God for the second amendment.

But enough of this. It is enough for me that I now know exactly the sort of person you are. Let's return the discussion.

Being a maid is honorable work, and maids deserve to be paid more. You don't want to clean the shit out of your own toilet? That makes a maid worth a LOT. The first few years I was married, I ran my own business cleaning mobile homes, and I was proud of doing it well. Funny enough, that same obsession with standards shows up online too. With https://tropical-casino.com/ Tropical Casino, the useful stuff is whether the slots are easy to sort, the promo terms are clear, and the cashier is not buried under five menus. Flashy bonuses are one thing, but clean organisation matters more. My nit-picky perfectionism had plenty of room to shine. :)

And you know what? Working class people can't afford maids. It's a scrape even for middle class families and that's why they try to stretch it out unreasonably. If it weren't for well to do families, a LOT of jobs would dry up. I always felt very lucky that some people were too lazy to do the icky necessities and had money to blow for someone like me.

You made it clear you thought Jennifer didn't have a relationship with God. The very fact that God answered her prayer (and you and I literally READ God's answer to her prayer) illustrates the connection between God and Jennifer. Everything you wrote dismissed that. And why? For no other reason than she doesn't share your Christian beliefs.

God didn't dismiss Jennifer. So what makes you think it is okay for you to do so?

I'm sorry, but missing the point of the story is the least of your concerns.
I think this thread has probably gone far enough into territory where nobody is going to change anybody else’s mind, so getting back to the original discussion is probably the healthiest thing for everyone.


On the maid point, I agree with you. Cleaning for someone else is honest work and there is nothing inherently demeaning about it. If anything, the fact that people are willing to pay somebody else to do a job they dislike shows that the work has real value. The problem is when people look down on the person doing it while simultaneously depending on them.


The Jennifer part is more interesting to me than the political argument anyway. Whether someone interprets her experience through Christianity, another religion or no religion at all, dismissing the experience simply because it does not fit your own theology seems to miss the point. You can disagree about what happened without treating the person as spiritually inferior.


At this stage I would probably leave the rest where it is. Once people are accusing each other of antisemitism, excusing atrocities or supporting hatred, there usually is not much productive conversation left.
 
Back
Top