Dostoyevsky and the Nature of Evil

meowzician

Community Member
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wasn’t sure which forum to put this. Although we are talking about an author, the Entertainment forum seemed too fun and lighthearted for thread this dark. I also thought about Relationships and Sociology, but that forum is heavy on relationships and light on sociology. I finally settled on the connection that ethics often has to Religion. And so, here we are.

For those unfamiliar with this greatest of authors, he was very likely fellow INFJ (INFP is also a possibility), and hence my writing this essay. I think of myself as a very good person: living a life of virtue, kindness and compassion and justice, is right at the top of my list of musts.

But sometimes I look within myself and see a capacity for evil that is just downright scary. If I ever decided to harm someone, the damage would be deep. This is in so many ways my relentless reflection on “Where are my weak spots? What is there in my thoughts and in my heart that has the potential to be twisted?”

Dostoyevsky not only had great intuition into the suffering of the world, and the evil that inflicts it, but he assaults the reader with it, painting detailed visceral descriptions not only of the sort of intense suffering that people try to avoid thinking about, but also about evil and how the evil person convinces themselves that they are good.

For Dostoyevsky it doesn’t cut it to say that people do evil things because they are evil, or hateful things because they are haters. Instead, he looks deep into the heart of those who are evil and shows us the chilling reality that he finds there.

He is known for his great compassion, believing that compassion was the core of his Russian Orthodox version of Christianity.

His books are so difficult to read—I suspect his audience is largely made up only of college students forced to read his novels and people with such a strong desire to contemplate what makes people tick that they are willing to endure the pain of reading his books.

But there is a moral dilemma for all of us who love Dostoyevsky. When he was younger, he championed the cause of Jews for all the reasons that a compassionate person would, arguing for Jews to be given equal rights. Yet in his later years he became viciously antisemitic.

He denied that he was an antisemite, ironically filling his objections with the very sort of antisemitic comments that shock people—he was completely deaf to what was coming out of his mouth, lacking any insight whatsoever.

It is such a disturbing turn that no one wants to talk about it. People are told about it, of course, but who has tried to explain it?

How? How could that possibly happen? How could someone so compassionate, the greatest of advocates for the oppressed and dispossessed, turn on a dime and embrace hate and evil? For those who are compassionate, it’s an extremely scary question, and a warning that I am certainly taking to heart.

The superficial explanation is that as Dostoyevsky became increasingly contemplative of foreign policy, he singled out Disraeli (the Jewish prime minister of the UK who allowed the Turks to commit unthinkable atrocities) as the object of his vitriol, and generalized that anger to all Jews.

To me, that is just begging the question. It DESCRIBES the antisemitism. It doesn’t explain its evolution. It doesn’t answer our question.

I don’t think I have the complete answer either. But I do have at least the beginnings of an idea, beginning with confirmation bias, that plague of plagues in human thinking. As the protagonist of Notes from the Underground observes: “Man is so fond of systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to deny the truth intentionally; he is ready to deny what he can see and hear just to justify his logic.”

The second flaw I see in his thinking is the all to common logical fallacy that we call the appeal to popularity: if everyone is saying the Jews are guilty, it must be true.

Don’t we see this all the time today? People create an echo chamber, reading only those articles and having only those friends who embrace their politics. And if all your friends are saying “It’s those Jews,” if you hear it from your news sources and the ICC and human rights organizations and see it all over social media, it becomes exceedingly difficult to resist.

I’m not excusing it. I’m pointing out the reality. I’m admitting that this logical fallacy is something that no human being is entirely free form, including me.

Make no mistake. His hatred was deep and frightening. In one essay, he reflects on how he thinks it would be if the demographics were reversed and the majority were Jews and the minority Russians: “Would they allow them to become their equal in rights?...Would they not turn them directly into slaves? Even worse: would they not strip them utterly bare? Would they not massacre them altogether, exterminate them completely, as they did more than once with alien peoples in times of old in their ancient history?”

So we return to our question. How could such compassion for humanity and such a deep hatred for Jews exist in the same heart and mind? How? How could he say something so frighteningly filled with hate and not even see it in himself? I fear that if I remain unable to answer this question I risk doing similar.

And this brings us to his greatest rationalization of all. In his mind there was a difference between hating a race simply because you just do, and hating them because of what they do. He has gone from “I have no hatred in my heart” to “I have no preconceived hatred in my heart.”

It is hatred disguised as virtue. And I see this kind of virtue signaling on the internet every day. I am DAILY assaulted verbally by people who think calling me a baby killer is the righteous thing to do. (OMG couldn’t they even come up with something original? Do they really have to resurrect the Blood Libel?) They pat themselves on the back because they are good people for doing so.

It is what in science is called generalizing from too small a sample. I was gang raped by men, so all men are not to be trusted. My brother was mugged by a Black, so Blacks are dangerous and violent. Epstein was a pedophile, so Jews are all pedophiles.

As INFJ’s we need to particularly cognizant of our potential for this. We are not linear thinkers. We see patterns. THIS is what happens when someone sees a pattern when no pattern exists. We are not immune from making mistakes. *I* am not immune.

What can I do to guard against this potential in myself? Here is what I think is a good checkpoint: am I willing to listen to, think about, and adjust my conclusions to evidence contrary to my thinking? If I find myself angrily tuning out data because it doesn’t fit my view, that’s a clear sign that I have entered the danger zone. Watch for the anger! It indicates we are experiencing something threatening.

And so we have come full circle: confirmation bias. No one spots confirmation bias in themselves unless they spend a lot of time reflecting and possess the capacity to admit their own fallibility. And that, AT LAST, is something very good that we INFJ’s are good at.
 
Last edited:

Tikvah is the best! Do you use the site in general, or was did you find these great links through a search?
 
I found them out of curiosity. I don't want to subscribe to online magazines but would like to read the second article. If you have access, I wonder if you could copy paste it to my blog?? 🙂
 
I found them out of curiosity. I don't want to subscribe to online magazines but would like to read the second article. If you have access, I wonder if you could copy paste it to my blog?? 🙂
That would violate copyright laws. Are you aware that it costs no money to subscribe? They have different tiers. I have the free subscription and was able to read both articles.
 
1789497750704.webp

Dostoyevsky died in 1881. During that era the world view was so different. Not only a novelist, he was also a journalist. What is the relevance in discussing it now? Is it purely academic? Just curious..

I've been in a relationship with a Jewish woman as of late. As a Christian I often find myself asking questions (in my head) about her perspective and views of the world. There's a delicate balance of walking the wire of support and not feeding the frustration or anger behind her world view.

I don't know enough about Dostoyevsky to have an opinion but I do like to think that a man with that level of emotional intelligence would understand the difference between disliking an individual and creating a full stereotype. This makes me wonder if his journalism required a slant towards political power during the era.

All of that said, I have been privy to knowledge coming out of Israel about how the Russian mob has been quite active in that area. There is also a link between what is happening in Iran and Russia. This is all very ugly business that I prefer to avoid.

From my experience, evil doesn't discriminate--meaning it shows up in all groups.

Are there any specific works of his, that you have enjoyed, related to how he depicts evil in people or the world? I am somewhat familiar with Crime and Punishment but that story gives me dis-ease. It was difficult to ingest.

I can appreciate your words related to INFJ evil. It's a part of me I acknowledge and accept but suppress. Such is the conflict of a difficult childhood and finding professional success in the world.
 
Last edited:
Dostoyevsky died in 1881. During that era the world view was so different. Not only a novelist, he was also a journalist. What is the relevance in discussing it now? Is it purely academic? Just curious..
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They are well worth considering.

Dostoyevski doesn't fall into the usual category of 1881 mentality. In his younger days he was an ADVOCATE for Jews. So we cannot say his antisemitism was simply due to Russian culture and upbringing, since he was clearly able to stand apart from that as an adult.

The question with Dostoyevski is WHY DID HE CHANGE?
I've been in a relationship with a Jewish woman as of late. As a Christian I often find myself asking questions (in my head) about her perspective and views of the world. There's a delicate balance of walking the wire of support and not feeding the frustration or anger behind her world view.
It could very well be that I am misunderstanding you, so if I get this wrong, please forgive. But the way you word this seems to make the problem her frustration and anger, rather than Jew-hatred.
All of that said, I have been privy to knowledge coming out of Israel about how the Russian mob has been quite active in that area.
Israel currently has the largest population by far of Jews leaving Russia due to antisemitism.

While Russia today is controlled by the mob, I don't think it would be accurate to ascribe its antisemitism to illegal activity. Russian antisemitism is deep and has its roots in the Orthodox Christian culture of Tsarist times.
From my experience, evil doesn't discriminate--meaning it shows up in all groups.
Of course.

I'm not sure what the point here is.
Are there any specific works of his, that you have enjoyed, related to how he depicts evil in people or the world? I am somewhat familiar with Crime and Punishment but that story gives me dis-ease. It was difficult to ingest.
Yes. His books are VERY difficult. Part of it is that it is just difficult to translate Russian to English--translators are forced to use English vocabulary that is uncommon, making it difficult for the typical English speaking person to understand. And the other part is that it simply deals with difficult topics--topics that require reflection. Let's face it--most people hate that kind of stuff.

Note: I have no idea why the text of your post suddenly became so light that it can barely be read.
 
Last edited:
But the way you word this seems to make the problem her frustration and anger, rather than Jew-hatred.
I think both are happening at the same time. My position with respect to someone I care about so intimately is to ease her inner conflict. To me it’s not about placing blame or defining the problem but instead about setting it down at times and providing a sanctuary and/or peacefulness.
The question with Dostoyevski is WHY DID HE CHANGE?
Are you sure he did? You said he denounced claims of antisemitism. People are complex.. especially INFJ’s with high emotional intelligence.

How will uncovering this question help you or others? Not to make light of your question(s), but the guy is dead.
Note: I have no idea why the text of your post suddenly became so light that it can barely be read.
I use a dark theme on this site because it’s easier on the eyes. I pasted his name once and it must have had a light color font so it looks normal on my screen but if you have a white background theme it’s probably more difficult to see. Apologies, it wasn’t intentional and I didn’t even know until you brought it to my attention. I’ll try to fix it.
 
Last edited:
I think both are happening at the same time.
Well that is a REAL problem. It would appear you have much bigger problems than how to view Dostoyevski.
Are you sure he did? You said he denounced claims of antisemitism.
You have this backward. He began as an advocate for Jews, and became a rabid antisemite in his later years. That's VERY unusual and inexplicable. What I said was that he was completely unaware that he had become antisemitic. That's actually extremely common.
I use a dark theme on this site because it’s easier on the eyes. I pasted his name once and it must have had a light color font so it looks normal on my screen but if you have a white background theme it’s probably more difficult to see. Apologies, it wasn’t intentional and I didn’t even know until you brought it to my attention. I’ll try to fix it.
No problem. :) I managed by highlighting it, which made the words appear.
 
Well that is a REAL problem. It would appear you have much bigger problems than how to view Dostoyevski.
I don't think you understand the dynamic of it. I don't define her and she chooses her own path. It has nothing to do with me.

Thanks for making it clear.

You missed the one question that was most important. I'll restate it, "How will uncovering this question help you or others?" What is the pursuit of this tread?

I remember you saying you appreciate debate when you arrived on this forum. Please, help me understand where this tread is directed and perhaps we can have a good discussion. I only ask because it appears pointed on the surface rather than intellectual or academic.
 
I do not think of good and evil as real. They are ideas born of dualism consciousness, and relative subjective judgements placed upon that which has been othered.

To that end, I think it a risky thing to incorporate such ideas into one’s identity. Those ideas are far too narrow to encapsulate the Self, in any case, but also because adherence to such an idea may preclude one from living the potentials of what it is to be human.

Also, inasmuch as such ideation is mutually exclusive with integration, belief tends to direct one’s energies to moving aspects of the Self into shadow.

What you do not own, or control, ends up owning, and controlling, you. Am I certain of that? Of course not, I am certain of so little. That said, I have seen this played out in countless individuals in my lifetime. Every day, in fact.

Mixing this with theism is surely a sorrowful thing. Tragic, in fact. Especially because I can imagine it being otherwise. That is not to say I am any better. I am human, and a wretch.

Cheers,
Ian
 
I don't think you understand the dynamic of it. I don't define her and she chooses her own path. It has nothing to do with me.
You stated that the problem was BOTH antisemitism AND her being overly sensitive to it. Again, if I'm misunderstanding you, then I apologize. I'm not there--I don't have all the context. But if you truly do think that some of this is in her own mind, then things are not going to work out well for you. I see it coming a mile away. You will not be able to hide that from her, and she will not put up with it forever.

Thanks for making it clear.

You missed the one question that was most important. I'll restate it, "How will uncovering this question help you or others?" What is the pursuit of this tread?
First, because ANY increase in the understanding of what makes humans tick is beneficial. And in fact, I'm floored you either don't see that, or you see it and find it of no value.

Second, because it means that Dostoyevski functions as a control group. By removing other complicating factors, an unknown element leading to antisemitism is isolated there waiting for the person who can dig it out of him.

Do I also need to spell it out that identifying the factors leading to antisemitism may be valuable for its prevention or reduction?

***********
As to the purpose of the thread, I took cares to be clear, but perhaps I was not a clear as I thought, so let me restate. There is a natural progression of thought here.

INFJs have a cluster of personality traits associated with idealism. Among these are compassion for those who are abused, exploited or marginalized, such that we are often called "The Advocates."

We see this early in Dostoevsky's life. From a very young age he wrote to increase awareness and compassion for those who suffered. This included an advocacy for the Jews so strong that it stood even against the common culture of the time.

But something somewhere along the way went wrong. He went from being an advocate to being an antisemite.

Here is the part you are looking for, so ears up. This serves as a warning to me, to you, to all INFJ's. We can turn. We can rot. We can become the very monsters we worked so very hard to oppose.

My suggested response to this was twin:
1. Look at Dostoyevski as an INFJ through our own INFJ eyes. Given that we share the same personality, the odds are higher that we will be the ones to figure him out. Is there any pattern we can spot? Because if we can pinpoint what it was that derailed him, we have a better chance at preventing the same in ourselves.
2. Whether we can figure out Dostoyevski or not, his example still serves as our warning, and we need to devote time and thought to scouring our souls for signs that we too may be turning.
I remember you saying you appreciate debate when you arrived on this forum. Please, help me understand where this tread is directed and perhaps we can have a good discussion. I only ask because it appears pointed on the surface rather than intellectual or academic.
I never anticipated anyone would debate me on this. It's NOT controversial. I'm actually quite shocked that you have taken issue with it. The responses I expected were the ideas what may have caused him to turn.

I want to make a very important distinction here. Being open to other points of view on this or that topic is not the same as tolerating someone who is not interested in debate so much as just wanting to pick at me, and then gaslighting me when I point it out. Debates I love. Games I have no patience for. This is the second time you have thrown out the "You said you were open to debate" as your justification for inappropriate contention. My antennae are up to see where this goes.

I should also mention that I NEVER do strictly academic. My objective is meaning. Good reasoning is only a tool to me, one tool among many that gets me there. If you are looking for debates that are intellectual and academic but devoid of idealistic content, you might have more fun on the ISTJ forum.

Now it's my turn to ask you a question. This was not a controversial topic. So what precisely is the issue that you have with this thread? Obviously if you just found it boring and worthless, you would have simply clicked to the next post. So something about it bugs you. What is that? JUST SAY IT.
 
Last edited:
You stated that the problem was BOTH antisemitism AND her being overly sensitive to it. Again, if I'm misunderstanding you, then I apologize. I'm not there--I don't have all the context. But if you truly do think that some of this is in her own mind, then things are not going to work out well for you. I see it coming a mile away. You will not be able to hide that from her, and she will not put up with it forever.
Apology accepted.

You’re connecting dots that don’t exist in the dynamic.

I’m not at liberty to discuss the details. So, you will have to trust me on this.
What is that? JUST SAY IT.
None of the parts in this thread bother me individually. It is the way that you have framed it collectively. None of it comes across as a search for meaning but instead has a strong feeling of agenda.

I’m not going to spell out what I’m saying because that would only fuel what already feels like a raging fire.

I’m not angry or upset with you. I’m simply trying to relay a message in the kindest way I know how to do that.
 
Maybe I should think out better what I am about to say before sharing, but I’m gonna throw some caution to the wind in favor of adding my energy to this thread.
Some thoughts:
I think the exploration of evil is truly fascinating endeavor.
I’ve traveled through various viewpoints on it in my life.
I was a Christian once. Examining evil was easy then.
It’s much more tricky these days. It tends more towards Taoism. Jung’s psychology informs that too.
Wholeness. A complex whole comprised of many facets.
Alan Watts talks about how a bees and flowers aren’t really two organisms. They can’t actually exist I dependantly. They are one organism, he says.
There’s a parallel with evil, for me. There is a Whole. Maybe I could call it Good-Evil. Nah, even that feels wrong.
Then there’s this…
I’m against anti-semitisim. No doubt. But, what I personally feel more comfortable talking about is racism. If I talk about anti-semitisim, I am inclined to talk about the larger system (or whole) in which it exists. I want to talk openly about oppression, ignorance, nationalism, etc.
I’m gonna bring it up no matter which people group that brings up genocide and ethnic cleansing. Wherever there is war.
But when you do that you end up with something very hard to contain.
I wrote this in my blog last night. And while I said I wasn’t sure “what brought me here”, I think reading this thread had something to do with it.
In a nutshell, I mentioned the fact that although it was uncharacteristic for me to do, I felt led to listen to 10 minutes 5 videos last night. Two were on the Israeli perspective, two were on the Palestinian perspective, and one said both perspectives were right.
When there is a venture into politics I usually exit stage left. When there is a discussion of evil I am interested and relate it to wholeness. When we speak of marginalised ethnicities, I felt empathy, sadness, and a desire to bring it into the realm of it being a universal problem.
This shit is so dicey.
I decided to write here because this thread causes my heart pain.
 
Last edited:
When you can put things in specific boxes and have simple reasons for them to be there, it provides a lot of mental comfort
We do this all the time with all sorts of things and to some extent it's necessary
Terminology only gets us so far in describing various phenomena
Intuitively we know what things are good/bad-evil, and these things start to have individual variance once examined closely
In broad strokes we all generally have consensus about many things but even those ebb and flow

Dostoyevsky's point was that this ebb and flow comes from within and not from societal structures
Personally I think this is largely correct and the internal war is manifested outwardly, but you cannot discount the influence of systems/ideologies that are already in place,
which will create foundations for the vast majority to sit within
There's the internal war, and the external one of a deconstruction/reconstruction nature
 
None of the parts in this thread bother me individually. It is the way that you have framed it collectively. None of it comes across as a search for meaning but instead has a strong feeling of agenda.

I’m not going to spell out what I’m saying because that would only fuel what already feels like a raging fire.
This is your chance to prevent a modified door slam. I think it is unkind to simply ghost someone without an explanation, so I have taught myself to modify that impulse in two ways. First, I cut things off much, much sooner. Second, I tell the person clearly when something has become a deal breaker.

I’ve had enough of the needling. I’m not going to continue putting up with the undercurrent. I don’t know exactly what it is, but it clearly has nothing to do with Dostoyevsky. The needling began with your very first post to me. Whatever is going on, though, needs to come out from under the surface and be dealt with directly.

It’s quite possible that you are right that bringing it into the light will fuel a fire, as you put it. That doesn’t scare me. I’m okay with anger, both my own and other people’s. I’m okay with people not liking me, and I’m okay with occasionally not liking other people. What I’m not okay with is the hints, the beating around the bush, and being told that I have some kind of agenda while you simultaneously refuse to say what you think that agenda is.

I do think you are trying to be kind. I think you are trying to avoid conflict with me. But I’m telling you that, from my perspective, this is not kindness. It is much more respectful to me to say plainly what you think and let me respond to it.

And if the idea of adding fuel to the fire is really that uncomfortable for you, my suggestion is simply not to engage. Just because I post here doesn’t mean you have to read it.
 
@meowzician

I didn’t say you had an agenda, I said it feels like an agenda. There’s a big difference.

Yes it has to do with Dostoyevsky that’s part of the thread.

If you don’t want me or anyone to pull back how they say things then consider how you frame your thread. YOU are at the center of the thread—think about that as you self reflect on the framing. If you had taken the side of the debate that was counter to your own bias then the opportunity for meaning and growth would be high. I know that’s an easy thing to say and a hard thing to do because it is counter to how people are built internally.

I’m not afraid to have a discussion about anything with anyone. I’m not afraid of fire and I prefer directness just like you. If I were in a room with you and we were talking as friends or even foes I would be completely open and honest with you out of respect. I can’t do that in this thread because of the way you framed the thread.

I’ve said something that needed to be said. I know I’m not the only one who sees it. You don’t appear to see it, but I’m actually trying to be protective of you in this scenario. If that gets me hated or ghosted then I can accept that but it wont be because I didn’t try.

If I’ve upset you, I apologize. That was never my intent.
 
I wasn’t sure which forum to put this. Although we are talking about an author, the Entertainment forum seemed too fun and lighthearted for thread this dark. I also thought about Relationships and Sociology, but that forum is heavy on relationships and light on sociology. I finally settled on the connection that ethics often has to Religion. And so, here we are.

For those unfamiliar with this greatest of authors, he was very likely fellow INFJ (INFP is also a possibility), and hence my writing this essay. I think of myself as a very good person: living a life of virtue, kindness and compassion and justice, is right at the top of my list of musts.

But sometimes I look within myself and see a capacity for evil that is just downright scary. If I ever decided to harm someone, the damage would be deep. This is in so many ways my relentless reflection on “Where are my weak spots? What is there in my thoughts and in my heart that has the potential to be twisted?”

Dostoyevsky not only had great intuition into the suffering of the world, and the evil that inflicts it, but he assaults the reader with it, painting detailed visceral descriptions not only of the sort of intense suffering that people try to avoid thinking about, but also about evil and how the evil person convinces themselves that they are good.

For Dostoyevsky it doesn’t cut it to say that people do evil things because they are evil, or hateful things because they are haters. Instead, he looks deep into the heart of those who are evil and shows us the chilling reality that he finds there.

He is known for his great compassion, believing that compassion was the core of his Russian Orthodox version of Christianity.

His books are so difficult to read—I suspect his audience is largely made up only of college students forced to read his novels and people with such a strong desire to contemplate what makes people tick that they are willing to endure the pain of reading his books.

But there is a moral dilemma for all of us who love Dostoyevsky. When he was younger, he championed the cause of Jews for all the reasons that a compassionate person would, arguing for Jews to be given equal rights. Yet in his later years he became viciously antisemitic.

He denied that he was an antisemite, ironically filling his objections with the very sort of antisemitic comments that shock people—he was completely deaf to what was coming out of his mouth, lacking any insight whatsoever.

It is such a disturbing turn that no one wants to talk about it. People are told about it, of course, but who has tried to explain it?

How? How could that possibly happen? How could someone so compassionate, the greatest of advocates for the oppressed and dispossessed, turn on a dime and embrace hate and evil? For those who are compassionate, it’s an extremely scary question, and a warning that I am certainly taking to heart.

The superficial explanation is that as Dostoyevsky became increasingly contemplative of foreign policy, he singled out Disraeli (the Jewish prime minister of the UK who allowed the Turks to commit unthinkable atrocities) as the object of his vitriol, and generalized that anger to all Jews.

To me, that is just begging the question. It DESCRIBES the antisemitism. It doesn’t explain its evolution. It doesn’t answer our question.

I don’t think I have the complete answer either. But I do have at least the beginnings of an idea, beginning with confirmation bias, that plague of plagues in human thinking. As the protagonist of Notes from the Underground observes: “Man is so fond of systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to deny the truth intentionally; he is ready to deny what he can see and hear just to justify his logic.”

The second flaw I see in his thinking is the all to common logical fallacy that we call the appeal to popularity: if everyone is saying the Jews are guilty, it must be true.

Don’t we see this all the time today? People create an echo chamber, reading only those articles and having only those friends who embrace their politics. And if all your friends are saying “It’s those Jews,” if you hear it from your news sources and the ICC and human rights organizations and see it all over social media, it becomes exceedingly difficult to resist.

I’m not excusing it. I’m pointing out the reality. I’m admitting that this logical fallacy is something that no human being is entirely free form, including me.

Make no mistake. His hatred was deep and frightening. In one essay, he reflects on how he thinks it would be if the demographics were reversed and the majority were Jews and the minority Russians: “Would they allow them to become their equal in rights?...Would they not turn them directly into slaves? Even worse: would they not strip them utterly bare? Would they not massacre them altogether, exterminate them completely, as they did more than once with alien peoples in times of old in their ancient history?”

So we return to our question. How could such compassion for humanity and such a deep hatred for Jews exist in the same heart and mind? How? How could he say something so frighteningly filled with hate and not even see it in himself? I fear that if I remain unable to answer this question I risk doing similar.

And this brings us to his greatest rationalization of all. In his mind there was a difference between hating a race simply because you just do, and hating them because of what they do. He has gone from “I have no hatred in my heart” to “I have no preconceived hatred in my heart.”

It is hatred disguised as virtue. And I see this kind of virtue signaling on the internet every day. I am DAILY assaulted verbally by people who think calling me a baby killer is the righteous thing to do. (OMG couldn’t they even come up with something original? Do they really have to resurrect the Blood Libel?) They pat themselves on the back because they are good people for doing so.

It is what in science is called generalizing from too small a sample. I was gang raped by men, so all men are not to be trusted. My brother was mugged by a Black, so Blacks are dangerous and violent. Epstein was a pedophile, so Jews are all pedophiles.

As INFJ’s we need to particularly cognizant of our potential for this. We are not linear thinkers. We see patterns. THIS is what happens when someone sees a pattern when no pattern exists. We are not immune from making mistakes. *I* am not immune.

What can I do to guard against this potential in myself? Here is what I think is a good checkpoint: am I willing to listen to, think about, and adjust my conclusions to evidence contrary to my thinking? If I find myself angrily tuning out data because it doesn’t fit my view, that’s a clear sign that I have entered the danger zone. Watch for the anger! It indicates we are experiencing something threatening.

And so we have come full circle: confirmation bias. No one spots confirmation bias in themselves unless they spend a lot of time reflecting and possess the capacity to admit their own fallibility. And that, AT LAST, is something very good that we INFJ’s are good at.
I do not see the use of condemning the views of a man that lived so long ago. Did your Great Grandparents hate Gay People. My Lord such evil.
 
Back
Top