Triggering Frisson

TomasM

OneOneOneOne
MBTI
INFJ
Can You Trigger Frisson?
Testing the Validated ChillsDB Database

In exploring the neurobiology of frisson and how somatic signals act as real-time feedback loops for insight, I kept hitting a practical question: What specific inputs reliably trigger this biological event? That search led me straight to ChillsDB—a open-source database developed by researchers at MIT Media Lab and the Institute for Advanced Consciousness Studies, and now hosted via the Harvard Dataverse. ChillsDB is a validated index of high-density emotional stimuli—ranging from film sequences and music to spoken narratives and moments of deep cognitive awe—mapped specifically because they produce measurable electrodermal spikes and chills across diverse testing groups. I’ve linked the full CSV dataset below so you can explore these validated clips yourself, test your own somatic responses, and see which patterns lock into your nervous system.

High-performing "gold standard" stimuli in the database hit success rates of 70% to 85%+.

Lists of triggers by type (Harvard):

If you test one then please describe what you tested, tell us if it worked, and if you can post a link for accessing the media (if one is available) it would be appreciated—so others can easily access it.

If you feel like going off the menu then feel free just let us know it’s off menu. I suspect this will be much more the case given the elevated intuition and connection to emotions by NF/ND’s.

Enjoy!!
 
Inception - Ending (YouTube List)


It didn’t trigger a frisson this time but I can say that it has in the past. There is more than one part of this film that has triggered frisson for me.

That said, I have noticed that I can build an immunity to some frisson producing stimuli over time.
 
Last edited:
Young and Beautiful - Lana Del Rey (YouTube list)



Definitely triggered a frisson and usually does. The music is elegant and the idea of unconditional love combined with advocating on my behalf before God is a powerful statement in my mind.

Edit: I found the song on the list as part of the music video related to the film The Great Gatsby. I added in case the visuals might change the outcome for some people.
 
Last edited:
Inception - Ending (YouTube List)


It didn’t trigger a frisson this time but I can say that it has in the past. There is more than one part of this film that has triggered frisson for me.

That said, I have noticed that I can build an immunity to some frisson producing stimuli over time.
I didn’t expect the dramatic chills I experienced watching this. I saw the movie once, but barely remember what it was about. Watching the scene didn’t trigger very much recall either. The chills lingered and moved and then spontaneous tears presented when his kids turned to look at him. I felt like a victim of an emotional evocation formula—the whole thing unfolding without any solid plot context. 🦄
 
Young and Beautiful - Lana Del Rey (Off the Menu)


Definitely triggered a frisson and usually does. The music is elegant and the idea of unconditional love combined with advocating on my behalf before God is a powerful statement in my mind.
Successful chills induction, again. First time listening to the song.

FYI, I couldn’t figure out how to download any of that stuff.
 
Last edited:
Interstellar - Music and film (database and off menu)

I saw several songs on the list from this movie. I have been listening to the soundtrack as it mixes with a Pandora channel I enjoy.

I don’t know how many INFJ’s experience things like I experience the world with this large overlapping between the emotional and logical. I know now how it developed but I don’t really want to elaborate since that’s not the purpose of this thread. That said, it is not uncommon for me to get frisson from ideas associated with overcoming adversity. I know that these types of frisson include both the emotional and a finally tuned and focused rational side which usually results in an extreme frisson. Interstellar film scenes and music induce such a state.

This first video wasn’t in the list at least not that I’ve found. It relays this feeling that there is no margin for error. There is no hesitation because his intuition told him instantaneously—“..it’s necessary.” The emotional state is drawn in because life and death is on the line. Success is the only option and there is no doubt permitted.


Hans Zimmer (composer) is exceptionally good at inducing these states for me and since several of his works (across films) are included in the database… I know it resonates with many.
 
Last edited:
This thread was created as a result of my research related to intuition. If you’re interested in understanding how frisson works scientifically and it’s possible connection to intuition you can review the following post within another thread on this site:

Post in thread 'Intuition - Origin and Definition'
https://www.infjs.com/threads/intuition-origin-and-definition.39732/post-1476290

There’s an additional post directly after this one that has the fMRI details.
 
Resiliency by Mateusz M (Reddit List)
Motivational Video

Got a small chill. Short video but very good story.

Know.. "your why."

 
Shape of My Heart by Sting
(YouTube List)

This song has triggered many frisson over the years. I know it resonates with the INFJ intuitive mind and have seen other people comment on it within this site.

I’m not sure if the Leon movie content enhances it for some people but that is the link that was provided. It is a great movie and rated as such on IMDB when I checked in the past.

 
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
The Last Goodbye (YouTube List)

Billy Boyd

I got a light frisson from this one. It’s a beautiful song and the cross-sections between the real world cast and Lord of The Rings films combined with the performer made it quite powerful in the mind.

 
Last edited:
Back
Top