Connect with my Dad

Daustus

What came first, the music or the misery?
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Being an INFJ, I've never been into what I would call traditional male stuff and I realize that created a barrier for my relationship with my father. I have trouble typing him but He's probably an ESFJ and into topics I have trouble being interested in. I realized now at 35, that I stopped trying in the relationship around age 17 because I felt he stopped trying to connect and understand me. After having children I have realized that I would like him to be more involved in my kids lives. I would like to include him more and looking for suggestions. Should also mention that I'm from rural midwestMwhere people don't talk openly about their feelings.
 
Conveying the challenges of child-rearing and prompting him for anecdotes (i.e. “Did I ever...when I was young” or “How did you handle it when I [Did something that one of my children is doing now]?” is a possible way to open dialogue. Think of challenges that you are overcoming and may not have appreciated from their perspective now that you’re a parent. Express appreciation or understanding about those challenges.
 
Back
Top